Successful Together: The Secret Recipe Club: Eggplant Patties

June 13, 2011

The Secret Recipe Club: Eggplant Patties

I was so excited when I stumbled upon The Secret Recipe Club! You can sign up and are assigned a blogger to go and recreate one of their recipes, then we all have a posting party to see what everyone else has made, and who made what from your own blog! This is my first time participating, but I know this will be a great experience.

This month, I was assigned to Trisha's blog, My Hobbie Lobbie. She cooks a lot differently than I normally do, so it was great to have the chance to look over her recipes and find something unique and different to try!

I was glad to have come across her recipe for Eggplant Patties, as I just so happen to have an eggplant that needed to be used up.

Eggplant Patties
(Makes 6)




1 eggplant, approx 350g 
1/2 egg
1 cup bread crumbs, approximately
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Crushed black pepper corns, to taste

3 tablespoons olive oil

Cut the stalk of the eggplant, wash and cut into 4-6 large chunks and cook in salted boiling water until just about soft. ( I diced mine)

Mash it and add the breadcrumbs, egg, ginger, garlic, salt, cumin powder, chilly powder, crushed black pepper and mix well. You will need to adjust the quantity of bread crumbs used, based on how wet the batter is. The batter needs to be stiff enough to shape into round patties.

Dampen you hands with a little water so that the batter doesn't stick to it. Shape into round patties. 

Heat  oil in a pan and shallow fry the patties till they are a lovely golden brown.

Serve hot.






4 Points+ for each patty! These were GOOD. Ed ate one then asked if he could take one to work with lunch tomorrow! :) I am ever so please and glad I was able to participate in the Secret Recipe Club. Until next time.... =)

Photobucket
Linked up :
Meat Free Monday


19 comments:

  1. I haven't had eggplant since I was a small child. I've been trying to convince my husband he needs to try it.
    This would be a great recipe to link up to my Meatfree Mondays linky
    http://pennypinchingprovisions.blogspot.com/2011/06/meat-free-monday-red-beans-and-rice.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those eggplant pancakes look excellent. I'd want to try them with a bit of tehina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love eggplant and these sound delicious. Loving the SRC too, it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! What a great use for eggplant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of eggplant patties! I will certainly try this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We planted some eggplant in our garden this year, so I'll have to keep this recipe in mind when we start getting our harvest. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to cook eggplant - I've never tried Eggplant Patties. Will have to keep this one in mind when eggplants come to market around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these sound fabulous! I love zucchini fritters and these look similar, but with such yummy spices. Excellent choice for the Secret Recipe Club :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a cool way to use eggplant! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OO I like this! I've been eating a lot of eggplant lately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you liked these Angie, we enjoyed them too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm enjoying my first month in the Secret Recipe Club and checking out all the blogs and recipes and your eggplant patties look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SUCH a clever idea. My husband finds the texture of eggplant a bit odd and so this might be worth a try. Thanks for choosing an interesting recipe. (I also like your "husband approved" button.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never been a big fan of eggplant, but these might convince me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so happy to be a part of the Secret Recipe Club and in such good company. These eggplant patties sound great. I am a big eggplant fan. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh these sound so yummy to me! I love eggplant but rarely make it because Grumpy just won't touch it. I wonder if I could pass these off without him knowing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for your awesome comments! These were really great, even left over. @shelby, I dont think I would have picked out that these were eggplant if I didnt make them myself. The spices really take it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! Looks like falafel but with eggplant. I wonder if my boys would eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. lokks really good i have ate afew of them,nothing like it you got,bet is better than i ate.


    http://harlancountyoffroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment :)
I am trying to keep the captcha away but I have been having an influx of Spam comments, so only registered users can comment. I hate to add a step, but I think logging in is better than captchas :)